Transition Supports


Parents of children with a decision-making disability who are about to turn 18, often want to make plans for the future care and support of their child once they become an adult.

The Guardianship and Administration Act 1990 recognises that adults (people over the age of 18) who are not capable of making reasoned decisions for themselves, may need additional support and assistance not only to ensure their quality of life is maintained, but also to protect them from the risk of neglect, exploitation and abuse.

Many parents of children with decision-making disabilities are interested in how the Act will protect their children as they move into adulthood, enabling the appointment of substitute decision-makers in the future, to make decisions in the best interests of their adult children.

Have a look at this website for more information about planning ahead. Have a read of the Frequently Asked Questions. These Questions include:

  • Children under 18
  • My child has an intellectual disability and is about to turn 18, will I still be the legal decision-maker?
  • Does an adult child with a decision-making disability need a guardian or administrator?
  • How to make an application to the State Administrative Tribunal?
  • Can I make an Enduring Power of Attorney (EPA) or Enduring Power of Guardianship (EPG) for my adult child?
  • Can my adult child, who has a decision-making disability, make these powers for themselves?
  • Can I nominate a guardian for my adult child in my Will?
  • Who will make decisions about my adult child’s property/finances, or personal, treatment and lifestyle options after I die?
  • If I have no family to support my adult child when I can no longer do so, who will be appointed?
  • I don’t have family who can make an application to the State Administrative Tribunal – what will happen to my adult child?